Tuesday 2 November 2010

Industrious in the Kitchen


I love those little coincidences that the blogosphere throws up. A few months ago one of the Berlin blogs that I like to read posted about the Pomeranza Design Ranch which happens to be co-owned by a friend of mine. As well as being pleased that she was getting a positive write-up about her venture, I was also interested to find out about one of their products I hadn't spotted before: Grubentücher. These cotton/linen towels were apparently used by miners in Germany's industrial Ruhr area to clean themselves up after a hard day down't pit. Their absorbency and robust design means they are now finding a new popularity in the kitchen. I made a mental note to check them out next time I went into the shop and then promptly forgot all about them.


Fast forward four months to last Friday where I find myself clutching a beautifully wrapped birthday present from my Pomeranza friend & her partner, and when I open it what do I find but a lovely Grubentuch. Now if that isn't the universe telling me I needed one of these babies in my life then I don't know what's going on.


Certainly, anything that makes drying up more fun (and I'm reliably informed they do that job remarkably well) is just fine by me. Hurrah for beautiful fabrics with a bit of history thrown in (and industrial history too, my favourite), and hurrah for thoughtful friends who know just the right presents to get you for your birthday.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I love them! Thanks for your comment on my blog too. I will be at the market days fair next Saturday 13th November...come and say hi if you are around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just discovered this entry now -- how pleasing! These circles always surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are very beautiful, the fabric looks so strong too. the label is very well designed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...